Feb
22

Brough Castle & St. Michaels Church

Brough Castle

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Brough Castle

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Brough Castle

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Brough Castle

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Brough Castle

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

St Michael’s Church

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Viking Hogback Grave Marker

St Michael’s Church

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Roman Grave Stone Re-used in the wall

St Michael’s Church

 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Norman Arch with Face Mask Carvings

St Michael’s Church

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The Loki Stone

St Michael’s Church

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

Starkly impressive Brough Castle stands on a ridge commanding strategic Stainmore Pass, on the site of a Roman fort.

Frequently the target of Scots raids, its towering keep dates from about 1200, and more comfortable living quarters were later added by the Clifford family, only to be accidentally burnt following a ‘great Christmas party’ in 1521.

Like so many other castles hereabouts, Brough was restored in the 17th century by the Lady Anne Clifford, traces of whose additions can still be seen.

St Michael’s Parish Church, in pretty Church Brough near the castle, displays an exhibition about the region.