Fort Paull is a gun battery situated on the north bank of the Humber, near the village of Paull, downstream from Hull in northern England.
Batteries have been built at Paull by Henry VIII, Charles I during the Civil War during the siege of Hull and the Napoleonic Wars. The current fort is of pentagonal design and was built in 1861-4 and on the recommendations of the Royal Commission; hence it is one of the Palmerston Forts. The original emplacements, nineteen 64 pounder (29 kg) RML artillery pieces were almost completely demolished in 1894 when concrete emplacements for three disappearing guns and two quick firing guns were built. A mining station was added in 1886 and searchlights followed in 1907.
At the outset of the First World War, Paull was judged too close to Hull, so was disarmed when new forts were built at Sunk Island and Stallingborough. The fort was used as a training base between the wars, and during the Second World War, it was converted into a magazine to serve the Russian convoys; a degaussing station was also added.
In 1960, Fort Paull was released from the Ministry of Defence and closed down. In 1964, a group of volunteers, the Friends of Fort Paull took over the site and began to restore the fort as a heritage museum. Fort Paull finally opened to the public in 2000. Fort Paull houses a waxwork museum showing figures which have influenced the fort’s long history as well as an armoury showing various artillery pieces and armoured vehicles. The fort also plays hosts to various military re-enactments from time to time.
Fort Paull is the location of the last remaining complete Blackburn Beverley heavy transport aircraft. Fort Paull has also appeared in the computer game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in the Russian airport diner behind the counter’s chair in a poster.
The Hull and East Riding Museum
Located in the attractive Museums Quarter, Hull and East Riding Museum has seen a series of major developments since the 1980s.
Highlights of the collections include the only dinosaur bones to have been found in East Yorkshire, mysterious Bronze Age warriors, and spectacular treasures from the Middle Ages.
In 1988, an Iron Age log boat – the Hasholme boat – was installed in the gallery within its conservation chamber. This was followed by the creation of the popular Celtic World displays in 1991 and the installation of a Mezzanine floor, with funding from the Wolfsen Trust. During the later 1990s displays about the prehistoric period in East Yorkshire were created. The Roman galleries were refurbished in 2002 and, in 2003; Anglo-Saxon and medieval displays were installed.